Capitol Park

“Beauty and Luxuriousness” 

In 1863, California Governor Leland Stanford envisioned a Victorian garden “with a beauty and luxuriousness that no other capitol can boast” surrounding the California State Capitol. Well over a century and a half later, California’s Capitol Park has a luxuriousness and beauty that few capitols can compete with.

Special points of interest, memorials, and monuments are tastefully incorporated into Capitol Park to remind us of our history and natural beauty. Visitors can sit under trees that were thought to be extinct, enjoy a pond surrounded by draping foliage while viewing living and static memorials, or relax during lunch under the shade of trees which are the largest of their kind in the state. Walkways crisscross the park, enabling visitors more opportunities to view its bounty.

Memorials and Monuments

Civil War Grove

Civil War Memorial Grove

Fire Fighter Memorial

Firefighters Memorial

El Soldado

Mexican-American War

Mother and Child crying statue - Peace Officer Memorial

Peace Officers Memorial

Spanish American War

Spanish-American War

USS California Bell

USS California Bell

Veterans Memorial

Veterans Memorial

Vietnam Memorial

Vietnam War Memorial

Starr King Statue

Thomas Starr King

Points of Interest

Camellia Grove

Camellia Grove

Commemorative Seals

Grinding Stone

Indian Grinding Rock

native plant life

Native Plant Life

West Capitol Steps

Rose Garden

World Peace Rose Garden

The History of Capitol Park

Capitol Park is considered one of the most beautiful State Capitol grounds in the nation. Covering forty acres and spanning twelve city blocks, it contains species of plant life from nearly every part of the globe.

The park began life in 1860 as the four-block area bounded by L, N, 10th, and 12th streets. In 1870, the block bordered by L Street, the Gov. Hiram W. Johnson Memorial Parkway, 14th and 15th streets was added to provide a location for a governor’s mansion. The remaining blocks east of the Capitol to 15th Street became part of Capitol Park in 1872. The final two blocks, bordered by L, N, 9th, and 10th streets, were secured in 1917 for the Capitol Extension buildings.

Beautification of the park began in 1869. Later, the land was graded and enriched with silt and soil from the bed of the Sacramento River. Eight hundred trees and flowering shrubs were planted, representing over two hundred native and exotic varieties. The park was laid out in typical Victorian style, with long lanes leading between beds of vivid annuals.

In 1884, the Agricultural Pavilion was constructed to house State Fair exhibits until 1905. The old site of the Agricultural Pavilion at 15th and N streets is now devoted to native California plants.

The first memorial established in the park was the Civil War Memorial Grove, dedicated in 1897 and consisting of sapling trees transplanted from over forty Civil War battlefields and historic sites. The most recent memorial, the Purple Heart Monument, honors all combat wounded soldiers and was dedicated in 2010. Today there are approximately 150 buildings, memorials, and points of interest in Capitol Park.

In the early years, the Capitol was almost on the outskirts of town. Deer and cattle were seen wandering through the developing park causing such problems that the park was fenced. A circular path was planted with alternating English Elm and California Fan Palms. It was used as a carriage path and a shady walk between the Capitol and Agricultural Pavilion. You can still trace much of the path with the remaining palm trees.

The last major park renovation coincided with the construction of the Capitol annex, 1948-1951. Unfortunately, some heritage trees have been lost due to age and storm damage.

A stroll through this delightful park of historic buildings, memorials, points of interest, stately trees, shrubs, flowers, and lawn is an occasion that lingers long in the memory of visitors.

For the convenience of the nature lover and the historian, many notable trees are labeled. Please note that this park is susceptible to change. Trees are removed due to disease, building projects, or accidents. Trees are replanted pending availability and funding. Also, the green and white number tags attached to the trees are from a previous incarnation of the tree tour, and do not necessarily correspond with the numbering online.