1928 - Library and Courts Building
By the early 1920’s California’s State Capitol Building was nearly out of room and expansion was desperately needed. In response, an impressive structure was designed and built so the California State Library and Courts could be moved off-site. The exquisite building was completed and occupied in 1928 and part of the Capitol Extension Group located adjacent to the Capitol.
The building’s pediment and Neo-classical design complimented the Classical Revival style of the Capitol. The Library and Courts new home was designed by the San Francisco architectural firm of Weeks & Day. At the time of construction, the building was widely regarded as the most beautiful in state government. Even today, the grandeur of the entrance lobby, its majestic murals, and a variety of attractive decorative features make this building exceptional.
1928 –1949: Apse
In 1928 the State Controller’s Office moved into the semicircular apse when the Library and Courts vacated the space. The apse was a major architectural element based on early Roman design and originally housed both the State Supreme Court (1st floor) and the State Library (2nd floor.) Unfortunately in 1949, the building's growth and modernization dealt the biggest blow to the integrity of the original Capitol building. The entire apse had to be destroyed in order to accommodate the new extension.
1949 – 1952: East Annex
Construction of the East Annex began in 1949 and was completed by 1952. The newly built East Annex created offices for the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, legislators, and other state officials. Before the expansion, Assembly and Senate members had to carry out business on the floor of their respective chamber, or any other place they could find.