Artist’s conception of ancient Greek library with shelves of book scrolls.
Interior of the main reading room of the Library of Congress.
Augustin Zamarano introduced the first printing press to California to produce Mexican government publications
Title page of the first book published in California by Augustin Zamorano.
Portrait of William Van Voorhies, the first California Secretary of State and ex-offico State Librarian.
The California State Library (CSL) was established by the state’s first legislature; received its first donations – including a trunk of 100 books presented by John C. Fremont
Photograph of John Fremont who donated a trunk of books to the newly established CSL.
Early engravings of the capitol buildings at San Jose, Vallejo, and Benicia along with a photograph of the old Sacramento County Courthouse when used as the State Capitol, 1870s.
Portrait of James W. Denver, the second State Librarian.
W. C. Stratton – seventh State Librarian; the first to hold the office separately from the Secretary of State who had previously been held it as part of his duties
Portrait of William C. Stratton, the seventh State Librarian.
Photograph of a Sacramento street scene taken during the great flood of 1862
CSL moved into the newly constructed State Capitol building from the B. F. Hastings Building in Old Sacramento
Photo of the nearly completed State Capitol showing the circular apse in which the CSL would be housed.
Photograph of James L. Gillis, the fifteenth State Librarian.
The Extension Department of Traveling Libraries was established at CSL, making its holdings available to the general public for the first time—eventually serving over 500 communities
Mary Henshell Dexter at Claus Branch Library, Stanislaus County, 1917.
CSL aids in the creation of the County Free Public Library system; Law Library established; 160,000 volumes
Postcard view of the Willows Public Library branch, 1910s.
Sacramento voters approved a $700,000 bond measure to purchase 2 blocks west of the Capitol for the “Greater Capitol Extension;” the heirs of Adolph Sutro donated his extensive personal library collection of nearly a hundred thousand books to the State Library with the condition that they be kept in San Francisco
Election poster urging Sacramentans to vote for the bond measure to purchase land for the State Library expansion.
Members of the Library School class typing in 1919 in the Capitol apse.
State Library moved out of the State Capitol into the recently completed new $5 million Library and Courts Building
1928 view from State Capitol dome looking west towards the newly completed Library and Courts Building (left) and State Building No. 1 (right).
Mabel R. Gillis – seventeenth State Librarian, became the first to be appointed by a governor and first woman Librarian
Photograph of Mabel R. Gillis, the seventeenth State Librarian.
Photograph of Carma R. Zimmerman, the eighteenth State Librarian.
Photograph of Gary E. Strong, the eighteenth State Librarian, seated at his desk in the State Librarian’s office.
The five-story, 140,000 square foot Library and Courts Building II is completed, becoming the future home to California History Section, Braille and Talking Library, Library Development Services, California Research Bureau, and the Preservation Office
Recent photograph of the newly completed State Library Building II
Photograph of Dr. Kevin Star, the twenty-first State Librarian
$65 million renovation of Stanley Mosk Library and Courts (the old Library and Courts Building) and current home to State Librarian’s Office, Administrative offices, State Information and Reference Center, Information Services and Government Publications Sections, and the Witkin State Law Library
Nighttime view of the Stanley Mosk Library and Courts Building
The J. Paul Leonard- Sutro Library moves into its new permanent home at San Francisco State University
Recent photograph of the newly completed J. Paul Leonard-Sutro Library on the San Francisco State University campus
Photograph of Greg Lucas, the twenty-first and current serving State Librarian